Ready to work for an award-winning organization?
About the division
Power Production Division oversees the creation of electricity from the time fuel arrives at our power plants to the time electricity is generated and transmitted. The Power Production team constructs, operates and maintains generating resources, which include two coal-based generation facilities and seven combined-cycle and peaking gas and oil units. The division manages environmental controls, plant efficiency and improvements, construction for future generation and all safety activities. Power Production also works with state and federal agencies to maintain established compliance standards.
Power plant operations
- More than 5,100 megawatts of owned generating capacity.
- Manages operation and maintenance of nine power plants sites: two coal-based facilities with five units; four simple-cycle gas and oil plants; three combined-cycle gas plants.
- Provides wholesale power that serves 910,000 homes, farms and businesses -- which is equal to about 2 million rural members.
- Maintains boilers, generators and balance of plant equipment.
- Monitors and improves power plant and equipment performance.
- Plans plant engineering and improvements between $2 million and $3 million each quarter.
- Manages environmental, health and safety programs for all staffed facilities.
- Plans, engineers and constructs environmental compliance projects.
- Oversees boiler code compliance efforts to ensure boiler safety.
- Continuously evaluates best practices and new technology applications.
- Works safely to ensure an accident-free workplace.
- Develops programs to eliminate employee and facility risk.
- Works with local agencies to prevent and respond to emergencies.
- Maintains company response capabilities for facility spills, releases and emergencies.
- Monitors and reports environmental impacts and performance.
- Evaluates and analyzes new environmental regulations.
- Secures regulatory environmental permits and monitors compliance.
- Works with environmental agencies to develop sound environmental policy.
- Develops programs to reduce impact of environmental requirements on generating stations.