Reliable electricity may be taken for granted by consumers, but affordability certainly is not. The expectation of clean, affordable, reliable electricity begins with member-consumers and their expectations of their local distribution cooperatives.
Because we are member-governed and member-controlled, our members' focus on the price of electricity drives our focus on costs.
As the wholesale power generator for this three-tiered system of cooperatives, Associated Electric affects the costs of its six owner generation and transmission cooperatives and the 51 distribution cooperatives in three states that those G&Ts serve. The goal of our three-tiered system of cooperatives is to deliver reliable electricity to cooperative member-consumers at the lowest cost possible.
Member distribution cooperatives served by Associated Electric Cooperative and its six owner G&Ts overall continue to buy power at a lower cost than the average paid by nonmember distribution cooperatives in eight states surrounding the three-tiered system, according to the latest data from the National Rural Utilities Cooperative Finance Corp.
Members don't just want low cost, they need low-cost electricity.
- 48% of member households have income of less than $75,000 a year.
- 29% of that group has income of less than $50,000 a year.
- 10% of that 48% earn less than $25,000 a year.
- High-income households (more than $150,000) are just 3 percent of member households.
- About 60% of surveyed members said they are age 55 or older.
- 33% of members are age 65 or older, and many of those are on limited or fixed incomes.
- 39% of senior-member households make less than $50,000 a year.
- 15% of members age 65 and older reported income of less than $25,000.
- The highest wage earners are found in households age 35 to 54.
- The youngest age group, ages 18 to 34, is 6% of membership. In this age group, one-third earn less than $50,000 a year.
- Most of system households include only one or two individuals; conversely, 40% have three or more members.
- 52% of surveyed members are employed; 35% is retired or on a pension; and 2% is unemployed.
Source: 2018 Member Satisfaction Survey